Sunday, October 17, 2010

Mick and Stevie Affair....SAY WHAT?!?!?

  I'm about to drop a BOMB on you.  Steve Nicks and drummer Mick Fleetwood had an affair back on the last leg of the 'Rumours Tour".  That's right, even these two got at it! I know, I was just as shocked as you when I first found out.  When I look at these two I just don't "see" them together.  I always thought the couples were Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham and Christine and John McVie.  Those were the couples in the band and that was IT!  Seriously, sometimes you take a step back and look at all the relationships within the band and think "Man, that is a band of incest right there".  Well, it was bound to happen right?  I mean you put rock stars on the road for over a year and its almost a guarantee that a new love affair/fling/experience is going to arise as a result.
  When I first was informed of the love affair, I couldn't believe my ears.  However, I had to be blind to not know that the affair was already well out in the open. There are plenty of texts and interviews out there of Stevie and Mick being fully open about their affair, but like most of you reading, I too was once a Fleetwood Mac Rookie.  I didn't know the inside scoop on the relationship drama.  In other words, I didn't know half of what comprises the band Fleetwood Mac.

  So me, being the little snoop that I am, wanted to find evidence that these two got their "Mac" on.  (haha pun intended!)  I scouted out through my folder of vintage tour footage and found some awesome videos from The Rumours Tour.  I fast forwarded to the last leg of the tour which was in 1977-1978.  These videos are probably my favorites because you actually  get a glimpse as to what touring with the band was actually like.  The footage was done by some unknown film-maker who was simply just a friend of Mick Fleetwood himself.  He tagged along on the tour simply filming as everyone went about their business.  The footage is much like that of a home video.  Very real, very raw, and a GOLDMINE to snoops like me looking for an affair in the works!  Now, I obviously wasn't scouting out for intimate things-that's just a little freaky- but I wanted to catch hints and inklings of this shocking affair.  Low and behold, I found a few clips with Stevie and Mick acting a little more "close" than usual. 



Catch it at mark 1:18.  TUSH GRAB!


Mick creeps in on Stevie doing her makeup at 22 seconds and Stevie could very well just be goofing around and giving Micks make-up a touch up....or we can think of it the "snoop/fun" way and think she is coming up with any excuse just to get her hands on him!  She also seems to be very giggly and smiley when he comes into the picture...

Seriously, I only have two videos that I could find on YouTube.com that come from that footage which is torture for me since I know that there is much more out there! If I can figure out how to upload the footage that I have, then I sure will!  There are little glances, looks, talks that happen that seem to verify that this love affair was indeed happening.  I love it when I find little mischievous tid bits like that!  It makes being a Mac fan all the more fun!  It may not all be accurate, but that's the fun in speculating!  Lets speculate for a few more minutes.  Now knowing that there was a fling between Nicks and Fleetwood puts a whole new meaning to these following pictures.  What do you think?

This comes from the 1977 cover of "Rolling Stone Magazine"  The picture illustrates the different relationships within the band.




  So its sweet isn't it?  Two people who don't seem to fit the "mold" of a perfect couple suddenly do.  They had a lively passionate romance, however there was a down-side.  The sad part about this love game was the fact that he was married at the time to London-based model Jenny Boyd and had two little girls. I guess that's  the sad risk of having a rock star as your husband.  He is gone for months at a time and even when he isn't on tour, he is in the studio recording for his next album.  I am in no way excusing Mick of his actions, but at the same time I need to ask Jenny "What did you expect?" Marrying a famous rock star has its consequences and unfortunately, the risk outweighed the marriage this time around.
There you have it Macsters. Mick Fleetwood. Stevie Nicks.  Love Affair.  I think the short romance was a bit "out there" but as a result, we the listeners received great music!  This song that I will leave you with was written by Stevie Nicks and it was about Mick Fleetwood.  The song was called Sara.  "Why the name Sara?" you may ask.  Well lets add a bit more drama to the already chaotic mix shall we?  Sara Recor was a model and one of Stevie Nicks' closest friends.  Recor and Fleetwood started a relationship whilst he was still being involved with Nicks.  Recor claims otherwise and said that she and Mick started their relationship after he and Nicks called it quits.  Regardless, the two fell in love and eventually married in the late seventies. You may think that Nicks would have been livid with the fact that Sara and Mick started something together, but the truth is that Nicks was more upset with Fleetwood than Recor.  In fact, Sara Recor was actually in the room with Nicks when she wrote the song!  Wow...Stevie sure was an understanding friend.

   I'll let you all escape the drama by simply listening to the beautiful song Sara which is off of the 1979 album Tusk...

JDSkills



"All I ever wanted, was to know that you were dreaming..." -SN

1 comment: