Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Demos to Die for...

The ladies of Fleetwood Mac: Stevie Nicks (L) and Christine McVie (R)

    Well, JDSkills has done it again.  I have found some more amazing demos that I am seriously obsessed with and you my fellow Macters, will be able to get a quick listen.  I found some really great demos that are written and sung by the ladies of Fleetwood Mac, Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks.  These next couple of demos have never seen the light of day ...until now. 

    Here is one that makes me want to bust a move.  This song is written by Christine McVie and was supposed to be on the epic Rumours album in 1977. After listening, I can hardly say I'm surprised.  The song is full of drama and anger towards Christine's ex husband and fellow band mate-bass player John Mcvie.
Look at these lyrics...

"Even though you've stopped the sun from shining
Well I've tried my best, but it may not be enough...
 What can you say to accuse me
When you know I'm not to blame?"


    Now I'm guessing that these lyrics are directed at John for two reasons.
 1.)  It was written in 1977 and who else would she be talking about? 
 2.)  These lyrics seem to make sense for John Mcvie who at the time was pretty much a raging drunk. Well, maybe not RAGING- I think that's a bit harsh.  He just got drunk from time to time and Chris McVie simply grew tired of it. She tried, but there is only so much that a lady can do with a husband who has a drinking problem.  Poor Chris...
    And might I add, Stevie is also doing vocals with Chris on this song and together, they both sound awesome!  Stevie can certainly relate to these lyrics.  She herself was going through her own messy breakup with guitarist Lindsey Buckingham.  I like to think of this song as a mutual  shout out towards both of their previous lovers in the band.  The song perfectly fits the aura of the album at the time and I think it would have been phenomenal on the Rumours album. 
Despite the sad lyrics, it is a rockin' song so go ahead and take a listen!

Believe Me Christine McVie

  This next song, is probably one of the most beautiful songs that Stevie Nicks has ever written.  This song was written in the 1970's,- it is hard to figure the exact date, but from the tone of her voice, I am guessing it would somewhere around 1976. 

    The name of this song is China Doll and was written about Lindsey Buckingham (or it has been speculated to be written about him.)  It is song about the vulnerability of a relationship.  She, or the relationship itself, is the China Doll in this song, for at any moment she could break.  Nicks and Buckingham went through their many ups and downs throughout the years and this song perfectly describes the relationship limbo that Nicks was in at the time. Stevie Nicks has written hundreds of beautiful songs, but If I had to choose, this would be her most vulnerable and honest song yet.  It is one of those songs that I don't think even belongs on an album.   This song is almost too private to be shared with the world...

...But I am sharing it with you.  Take a listen...

China Doll Stevie Nicks

  So those are only two songs that I will share, but there are TONS more that I will post later on.  Thank god for youtube.com or we would have never even known that these demos even existed!  In my opinion, raw songs like these are the next best thing to going back in time.  I am transported back to a time when songs were based off real emotion. It is refreshing to be able to listen to good music...

Real Music.

I'm on a demo high and need to check out more...maybe I'll post them later!  Till next time...

JDSkills

No comments:

Post a Comment