Thursday, November 18, 2010

Lindsey Buckingham has Magic Fingers

    I have been in such a Lindsey Buckingham funk lately and I love it.  Oh yes, when I say funk, don't take it as a bad thing.  For the past week I have been listening to a lot of Lindsey Buckingham tunes-both with Fleetwood Mac as well as solo records. I happened to stumble across these amazing videos off youtube which show Lindsey Buckingham himself giving an exclusive guitar instructional video for Guitar World . Simply amazing...
Take a look!


   Lindsey Buckingham has never used a guitar pick during his live performances. I have seen Buckingham play up close and personal during his solo concerts as well as Fleetwood Mac shows.   No lie when I tell you that  I can literally see the streaks of blood flying from his fingertips-Ouch!
    In this video clip, Buckingham describes his early influences for his finger picking guitar style. He also analyzes his guitar picking style on Stevie Nicks'  song Landslide. Originally, it was only played with the G cord and then evolved to more complex electric cords over time. The Smashing Pumpkins did a cover of the song and I believe that they too only used G cord in their recording of the song. If you are reading this and play guitar, I would love some imput as to what cords are used.  I am a little bit of a foreigner when it comes to guitar cords-but that's why I watch these videos right?
    Anyways, another interesting thing to point out, is that the last bit of the guitar introduction is a bit longer during live performances in order  to give the song "lift" as Buckingham says. Although the lyrics to this song are beautiful and always will be,  I truly believe that the guitar is the backbone to this song.

As I watch this next video, I am left with my mouth hanging wide open. I'm hypnotized by Buckingham's guitar work in the song Big Love...

...Seriously...AGAIN PLEASE!  This video only reinforces my point that Lindsey Buckingham has magic fingers.


Again you ask?  Here is a look at a live performance of Big Love...


After being an avid fan of Fleetwood Mac and watching video after video and listening to various recordings of Buckingham's work both solo and with Fleetwood Mac, I am only more compelled to say that Lindsey Buckingham's guitar work is vastly underrated.  I have had the pleasure to see him on his two most recent solo tours, Under the Skin as well as Gift of Screws, and both of his CD's do not do him justice as to the great musician that he is.  Although both CD's are great-and I recommend you take a listen- seeing him live is simply out of this world.  I am taken to another planet every time I get the chance to see him perform.  He has the amazing ability to make that connection with his audience which makes you feel like you are the only person in the room.  Sometimes I literally have to  to look around to actually remember that there are other people in the small venue.  Make eye contact with the man and   you become putty in the hands of an artist.  He molds you and then you become involved in his artistic creation.   His guitar playing and words ooze sensuality and passion and that is a quality is lacking in many musicians today.  He has a distinct sound that I have yet to see matched and that is what makes a guitarist truly great.   When you hear the cords of his guitar ring in your ears, you know that it is the work of a great guitarist.  It is the guitar work of Lindsey Buckingham.

Man, I wish I had a guitar right now.  Sad to say, I have never had the chance to actually play a guitar.  How sad right?  I have always wanted to learn how to play a guitar-that's why I watch these videos right  Something to add to my Christmas list ....Maybeeee?  "Mom, Dad, I would like a Gibson guitar for Christmas.   Please and thank you..."


Well, I guess I'll leave now and let you lucky ducks who have guitars take some pointers from Buckingham. Have fun and until next time...

JDSkills

2 comments:

  1. This is a VERY full and impressive blog! It's easy to see that you are interested in your topic. Posts seem to be written in a casual and fun style, and include tons of media, mainly youtube clips. The only bad part of this is that the amount of media makes scrolling a little laggy. I had this problem too. The other contributing factor to this is the image background, but I don't think you should sacrifice it for scrolling speed. It makes the blog interesting to look at.

    I can't find much wrong except that the text on the light sidebar is too light to be seen easily. Try darkening it. Other than that, very nice and fascinating blog!

    - Anna Salatto

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anna! It is so fun to blog especially when you find something that you love to talk about.

    I know exactly what you mean with the "slowness" of the scrolling on the page. So frustrating! I think I use a lot of media and clips because I like the fact that it emphasizes what I'm talking about. I want all of the people reading to hear what I am talking about so they can get a better feel for say a song, harmony, guitar solo etc.

    Thanks for reading!

    JDSkills

    ReplyDelete