Monday, March 7, 2011

Spinning Wheels

Ah yesss!  I found another beautiful demo that deserves some recognition.  Seriously, I get so amped when I find these-you have no idea.



The amp in my heart has faded a bit after taking a listen to this demo. You can't help but feel the pain that is evident in her voice.  It is no question that Spinning Wheels is a  demo that is inspired by heartbreak.  Nicks' use of the word spinning wheels is a metaphor for the disillusionment that love can sometimes bring. 

"Spinning wheels,
Crystal perfection
Not to be confused with the tears.
Oh Christian, what about your sad, wild dreams?
What kind of feelings do you feel for me?
Do you cherish all those memories?
What kind of feelings do you feel for me?"

Sometimes we want a relationship to be perfect, even though that is absolutely impossible.  We tend to look past the flaws and focus on the times that make us feel good.  Nicks' reference to crystal perfection illustrates this fact.  She then goes on to question herself.   She is guarded and fearful that she will be hurt. Its as though doesn't want to be made into a fool and you can hear the fragility and  in her voice as she sings these lyrics. She doesn't want to have her heart broken, even though she can predict that it will probably break at any moment.  Makes you want to reach out and give her a hug, right?

"With the faith of a child,
Have you given enough?
Have you given too much?"

Now, I have said it once, but I will say it again- I believe that this song is inspired of the breakup between Nicks and guitarist Lindsey Buckingham. She has said herself that Buckingham was, and still is, an inspiration for her music.  Although she has written numerous songs about various past lovers, it seems to be that some of her most beautiful songs have been written about her experiences with Buckingham.

"Sweet things that we live for,
They say that dreams are made of them."


"No quiet cries...something that was.
No quiet cries for us."

I gotta say...I can't complain.  If heartbreak is what it takes to create a song this beautiful, then I just have to say "BRING ON THE HEARTACHE."  It might sound heartless, but sometimes the harder you hurt, the better the song is.


"Sweet things that we live for,
But it was only love."

JDSkills

No comments:

Post a Comment