Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Read Between My Lines

Ah it is so late I know, but I promised a post on this incredible song and now I will deliver! 

A little background on the song...

Believe it or not Stevie Nicks was once a married woman.  The day she married her then husband Kim Anderson in 1982, was the day that she wrote Stand Back.  The Prince song Little Red Corvette was playing on the radio when Nicks and Anderson were driving up to Santa Barbara California.  Nicks fell in love with the song and wanted to create a song that had the same synthesizer sound.

Stevie really explains it better in her own words.  Listen to the story behind Stand Back in the video below.  It is from VH1 Storytellers.


Mmmmm, there is nothing hotter than recording a song on your honeymoon night. Kidding.  Come on Stevie, you couldn't take a break from songwriting even on your honeymoon night?  Well I guess that is considered one sexy night for a prolific songwriter.  Thank GOD it is or else we wouldn't have this fabulous song!

 Here is the Prince song, Little Red Corvette.  Can you hear the similarity?  I can...


Man, I seriously dance to that Prince song in my room at least ONCE  a week.  No joke.  You all should really try it.  Its a great ab workout...

Anyways, I mentioned earlier that Stand Back is a great song to play when you are having a frustrating day.    Honestly, the meaning of the song never really hit me until probably a month ago.  It was always a "feel-good" song for me.  Little did I know that the song's actual  meaning is anything but "feel good".

The song is an argument put into song.  Sidetrack: Don't you think life would be more enjoyable is we could solve every problem through song?  I guess they just call those musicals...but hey, it would make solving problems an absolute breeze!
In the song, Nicks sings of a man who let her down.  Its directed to that man who feels as though he can twist a woman's heart in his hands.   Nicks is here to let him know that he can't.  When Nicks wails the ending lyrics, "Take me home,"she is mimicking the voice of a man begging for a second chance. 

"No one knows how I feel
What I say...unless you read between my lines..."

No one can really know what a woman feels when her heart breaks.  Sometimes you feel angry and sometimes you feel sad.  Sometimes you feel such strong emotions that they can't really be explained in simple words...so...we cry.  Its a sad thing, it really is, and sometimes a woman can be seen as "over emotional" because of this fact.   But what about the man?  It is selfish for this particular man to feel as though he can hold her down and once again, twist her heart in his hand at his leisure.  Where was he when she needed him? Its too little too late for this guy...(Nicks mean business!)

"In the middle of my room I did not hear from you...
It's alright, its alright to be standing in a line
I would cry."



Stand Back is always going to be a song that makes a person feel good.   I have been to many Stevie Nicks concerts, and this song is constantly in the set list because it is a crowd pleaser.  It always brings everyone in the audience to their feet.  Do me a favor.  When you hear this song, sit back and listen to the actual meaning behind it.  Listen to the sound of a woman who is begging for a man...to be a man! 

"I need a little sympathy..."

JDSkills


No comments:

Post a Comment