Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Time Stands Still

Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham in 1977

Silvers Springs is now thought of to be the song that "could have been", for it was never released on Fleetwood Mac's classic 1977 album, Rumours.  The song was finally able to be shared with the world, when the band reunited in 1997 for The Dance Tour.

Here I have an audio clip of Silver Springs from a live concert held in 1977.   The band believed that Silver Springs was to be included on the album. You can hear Nicks' state within the first few seconds "This song will be on the new Fleetwood Mac album."  (Jeesh..thats a little eerie right?)  Little did Stevie know, that the next time she would sing this song would be twenty years later...

Silver Springs :Live 1977


Wow. Okay, give me a moment to pick my jaw up from the floor. How unbelievably awesome was that? (especially at mark 4:10 onward)

I can only imagine what the performance was like.  This song is much like the anthem song of the breakup between Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks.  It is almost as though Nicks is taunting Buckingham throughout the song. If you haven't already, please go back and listen to this clip at mark 4:10 onward.  I can almost feel the daggers that Stevie Nicks is throwing at Buckingham.  I mean, I'm not even Lindsey Buckingham and I feel scared!

The song was later performed in 1997 during The Dance Tour.  If you check out this video clip, you can see the chemistry that still exists between the two ex-lovers.  If the heartache can still be felt a good twenty years post breakup, I can only imagine what it was like during the live performance in 1977. 

Silver Springs 1997: The Dance Tour



 "Time casts a spell on you, but you won't forget me."  It all seems to take on a different meaning now, doesn't it? I mean, Stevie said herself "I'll follow you down, till the sound of my voice will haunt you."  Well, Nicks promised and delivered with this one.  Can you imagine breaking up with someone and having THIS song be written about you by your ex-lover?  That is pretty intense...

 The song truly has haunted Buckingham for twenty years, and still does to this day. The song never died in 1977 when it was not included in the Rumours album. Silver Springs was simply waiting for its time to be born again.  It was only fitting that this song's rebirth would be when the band reunited in 1997.   This song goes to show that Fleetwood Mac can truly stand the test of time.  With this band, time stands still.

Oh, and before I leave, take a look at the two pictures in this blog.  Go ahead scroll to the top.....
 
Okay, now look at the picture below and tell me that the love is dead...

Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham in 2003 (Say You Will Tour)

...Aw I know right!  I didn't think you could.

JDSkills

No comments:

Post a Comment